free motion "stiffness" 2017-07-11T08:54:46+00:00

Home Forums Ask an HQ Expert free motion "stiffness"

• Author
    Participant

I just received my new Avante this month – I have been practicing on free motion quilting and it seems to be ‘stiff’ when trying to do curves – it seems to be in a ‘track’ when doing horizontal and vertical lines (perfectly straight) but when I try to make curves they are choppy (like I have jumped track). Would the small handle improve this? Does it take some time to ‘wear’ some to become smoother? OR is it just that I need more practice?

• Cheryl DuncanCheryl Duncan

Denise,

Congratulations on you new HQ Avante. You will love it. It may be that you need more practice getting used to the machine. However, if you have the HQ Pro-Stitcher make sure that you are in freemotion. This will make a huge difference. Please call us at 1-877-697-8458, M-F, 9-5 MDT. We would love to help you.

Best regards,

Cheryl Duncan
    Handi Quilter Studio Educator

• Toni BartlettToni Bartlett
    Participant

I hq 16 with prostitchers I seem to have it also I made sure the wheels have been disengaged it move good but the minutes I try to see and down circle it feels like I am fighting it

Toni,

I am sorry that you are having problems with your HQ Sixteen and HQ Pro-Stitcher. If you have levers on your carriage make sure that both levers are raised up. Also, check around the wheels and make sure that there are no threads wrapped around the wheels. If you are still having problems please call Handi Quilter Education department at 1-877-697-8458, M-F, 9-5 MDT. We would like to help you solve this issue.

Best regards,

Cheryl Duncan

• Anitra MarinchekAnitra Marinchek
    Participant

I am new to long arming. I have the new Amara. I really like it but I have found that in some instances it feels like there is resistance when making circular motions during FMQ. I do not own a pro-stitcher. I wonder if the quilt back tension plays a roll in this? I have tried to compensate by having a very firm grip on the bars and really trying to maintain control of the machine but I admit it is hard on the upper body. I was hoping the transition from my home domestic to the long arm would Be easier on my body. I have noticed an improvement in my quilting long arm quilting since I’ve changed to a firmer grip.

Anitra,

Congratulations on your new HQ Amara. You’ll love it. Make sure that your tracks are clean and that there isn’t any thread on the track or wrapped around the wheels. This can cause problems when you are quilting. You don’t want your quilt top or back to be overly tight. If your quilt is bouncing as you are quilting then the quilt is too tight on the poles. Doing circles will take a little more practice. The natural direction the machine wants to go is straight back and forth and side to side. Keep practicing and you will get it.

If you need further assistance please call our Education department at 1-877-697-8458, M-F, 9-5 MST. We would love to help you.

Best regards,

Cheryl Duncan

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.